We encourage everyone at Messiah to find the areas where God is leading them to serve. Please check out the lists below, and connect with the leaders of the areas you're interested in. Click the button below to help us help you find your fit.
We love to help people in need. To find out about ways you can help people in Lincoln area and around the world, click the links below.
- Home in a box – Help collect home furnishings and deliver them to families who are breaking out of homelessness and moving into their first home that they’ve enjoyed for a time.
- Orphan Grain Train – Volunteer at the Lincoln donation center, or donate clothing and medical supplies. You may bring those items to Messiah any time Monday-Friday 8:00-4:00, or Sundays when you come for worship.
- Common Threads – Create human care items such as: pillowcases and bedding for missions, infant care kits, and Days for Girls items, which are shipped all over the world.
- Days for Girls – Create beautiful, washable, reusable menstrual care kits for girls and women who have no access to what they need—girls and women who would otherwise have to miss school or work, just because it’s “that time of month.”
- King Lake Flood Relief – In March of 2019, a large portion of Eastern Nebraska suffered through devastating floods. Messiah has partnered with residents of the King Lake area to help rebuild their homes. Most Saturdays, a group of dedicated volunteers goes there for a day of work on various projects.
- Angel Tree and Mitten Tree – Each December and January, we collect gifts to give to people in need, as well as scarves, hats and mittens for the cold winter months.
- Thanksgiving Baskets – Help to assemble and deliver baskets of food to families that could use some assistance around Thanksgiving.
- Baby Item Donations – We have drives to collect items for parents and their children. We partner with the Pregnancy Center in Lincoln to get donations to the people who need them the most.
- Messiah Ministries & Outreach – Give us a call 402.489.3024 and ask about more ways to connect and serve.
- Donate items, money, and time to support our outreach ministries. We have permanent, dedicated donation bins in the Great Hall for Home in a Box, Orphan Grain Train, Common Threads, Lutheran Food Pantry, and Homeless Care Kits. You may bring donations to Messiah any time 8:00-4:00 Monday-Friday, or when you come for worship on Sundays and Wednesdays.
Here are some ways you can help everyone feel welcome and at home, worshiping with us:
- Usher – serve one month per quarter
- Altar Care – prepares Communion elements and tidies up the altar area.
- Greeter – welcome everyone with a smile
- Scripture Reader – read assigned scripture during worship
- Café Crew – help with coffee and donuts, and tidy up the café
- Van Drivers – transport guests to worship for 9:30a Sunday worship
- AV Room – assist with cameras for livestream, help the livestream run smoothly, or change slides during worship.
- Outdoor hospitality (orange vests) – help guests in lot
- Welcome Desk – direct people where to go, take info, answer questions
To find out more about any of these ways to serve, just click the links above.
There are a few ways to get involved with our children’s ministry at Messiah:
- VBS Helper – During one exciting week in June, we need over 100 adults to help serve more than 300 children that come to Messiah for Vacation Bible School.
- Wednesday Night Assistant – Wednesday evening volunteers help in a variety of ways with the children’s portion of our Wednesday nights at Messiah.